NCA Certification Criteria
REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL APPLICANTS SEEKING
CFT – CERTIFIED FAMILY THERAPIST
Graduate Degree – from a regionally accredited higher education institution.
– Degree Area – Counseling, Counseling Psychology, Psychology, Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy, Master’s of Social Work or related professional field.
– Specific Coursework or Training – in marriage and family counseling/therapy emphasizing systems training through graduate studies or post-graduate training, workshops, seminars or institutes involving designated marriage and family counseling/therapy areas. (See specific areas).
– Supervised Experience in Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy – verified by one’s State License in marriage and family counseling or therapy, or graduate of CACREP (marriage and family counseling/therapy) or COAMFTE accredited program, or clinical membership in AAMFT, or by the completion of Supervision Verification Form.
– References or Endorsements – two (2) references or endorsements, unless previous endorsement through State License in Marriage and Family Therapy or clinical member of AAMFT.
Options For Certification
Option FiveClinical Membership in AAMFT send verification of AAMFT membership statusVerification previously provided to organizationVerification previously provided to organizationVerification already provided
Verification of Graduate/Post Graduate Coursework/Workshop Training in Marriage and Family Therapy
Verification of Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy Supervision
Recommendations and Endorsement Letters
|Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC), Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), Licensed Social Worker, or Licensed Psychologist; send verification from NBCC or from Licensure Board||Graduate/post-graduate training through coursework or workshops in marriage and family counseling/therapy required (see verification worksheet)||Post-graduate supervision in marriage and family counseling/therapy required||Two required (see forms)|
|Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists: Send verification of License||Verification already provided to State Board||Verification already provided to State Board||Verification already provided|
|CACREP or COAMFTE graduate in marriage and family counseling/therapy: Send verification of program and degree||Verification of coursework previously provided to accrediting bodies||Internship provides verification in accredited programs||Two required (see forms)|
|Master’s level graduate in counseling, psychology, counseling psychology, social work, family therapy or closely related field||Same as option (1)||Same as option (1)||Two required (see forms)|
|Clinical Membership in AAMFT send verification of AAMFT membership status||Verification previously provided to organization||Verification previously provided to organization||Verification already provided|
Individuals who successfully complete the NCA certification process are entitled to use the designated CFT. Any individual who uses this designation or represents himself or herself as a Certified Family Therapist without having fulfilled the requirements of this certification process is deemed to be in violation of the NCA Code of Ethics and may be denied the right to future certification and/or may be subject to legal action. NCA reserves the right to modify licensure/certification boards and/or professional associations if any individual is in violation of this policy. Such violations may be published in the NCA communiqué.
Procedural Summary to Obtain Certified Family Therapist Status
The National Credentialing Academy provides applicants with a set of entry options that can be used to become a recognized Certified Family Therapist. Many of the options can be efficiently processed
Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC) by the NBCC, Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Social Worker, or Licensed Psychologist
Completion of CFT application. Completion of NCC or Licensure Verification Form or copy of licensure. Official transcripts, graduate and/or post-graduate workshops or training verifying education/training in specific areas in marriage and family counseling/therapy, post graduate employment/supervision verification in marriage and family counseling/therapy, two letters of endorsement (forms enclosed in application packet) and enclosure of certification fee*.
State Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
Completion of the CFT application. Completion of Marriage and Family Therapy Licensure Verification Form or enclosure of copy of state licensure form (licensed marriage and family therapist in good standing) and enclosure of certification fee*.
Graduation from a CACREP or COAMFTE Accredited Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy Graduate Training Program
Completion of CFT application. Completion of Verification Form from graduate program, two letters of endorsement (forms enclosed in application packet) and enclosure of certification fee*.
Graduate from a Master’s Program in Behavioral Sciences: Counseling, Counseling Psychology, Psychology, Social Work, Marriage and Family Studies, or Closely Related Area:
Completion of CFT application. Official transcripts, graduate and/or post graduate training/workshops verifying education/training in specific areas in marriage and family counseling/therapy, post graduate employment/supervision verification in marriage and family counseling/therapy, two letters of endorsement (forms enclosed in application packet) and enclosure of certification fee*.
Clinical Membership Status in AAMFT
Completion of the CFT application. Completion of Verification Form or a copy of one’s Clinical membership in AAMFT (member in good standing) and enclosure of certification fee*.
*The certification fee is $180.00. Of the total cost for certification $25.00 is non-refundable and used for initial credential processing. Remaining fees cover data base set-up, completion and distribution of roster of CFTs and advocacy work by NCA.
Instructions for Preparing Your Application Materials
– BEFORE COMPLETING ANY PART OF YOUR APPLICATION READ THESE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY. All information should be typed or printed legibly in black ink, except for your signature, which should be written, as you would sign business correspondence.
– Steps 4-6 are optional and will be used for statistical purposes only.
1. NAME: Print your name in the boxes as you wish it to appear on your CFT Certificate. Be sure to leave a blank box between your first and middle names. If your current name is different from that which appears on your transcript(s) or other records, be sure to enter it in the space promptly.
2. ADDRESS: You may list either your home or business mailing address. It should be one at which you will receive mail for at least two months after your certification date. If your address changes after submitting your application, please notify our office promptly by email.
3. TELEPHONE AND FAX NUMBER, E-MAIL ADDRESS: List both your home address and business numbers. If you do not currently have a phone, list a number where you may receive messages.
4. GENDER: Check the appropriate box.
5. DATE OF BIRTH: List the month and year you were born.
6. ETHNIC BACKGROUND: Check the appropriate box.
7. EDUCATIONAL/TRAINING REQUIRED FOR OPTIONS: Indicate the masters and postmasters degree(s) which you have received. Give month and year the degree was awarded and the name and address of the institution awarding the degree.
8. PROGRAM ACCREDITATION INFORMATION
9. ENTRY OPTIONS FOR CFT APPLICANTS: Check the appropriate box. Select one of five entry options to certification.
10. PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS VERIFICATION (Options 1, 2, & 5): Use forms provided for verification of NCC, State Licensure(s), or AAMFT Clinical membership.
11. PROFESSIOANL REFERENCES (Options 1, 3, & 4): List the two persons from whom you shall request a Professional Reference Assessment Form. One reference MUST be from a current or former supervisor of your marriage and family counseling/therapy experience. The second reference may be from a trainer of professional colleague. Neither relatives nor clients may provide references. Reference Forms are confidential documents. The completed reference MUST be in a sealed envelope with the reference’s signature across the flap. You must submit unopened forms to NCA with your application materials.
12. PROFESSIONAL MARRIAGE AND FAMILY COUNSELING/THERAPY
EXPERIENCE (Options 1 & 4 only): Enter your experiences beginning with the
most recent on provided forms. Resumes are not suitable. Give your position title,
the number of hours worked per week, and the number of years and months in that
position. Provide a brief description of your duties. List your supervisor’s name and phone number. NCA reserves the right to request a more complete employment
history if deemed necessary. If more space is needed, use this same format on
additional sheets. Post-masters marriage and family counseling/therapy experience
under supervision can be fulfilled via one year of full-time experience or consective part-time experience totaling one year of full-time experience. Use the Experience Verification Form to document supervised experience. If more copies of this
form are needed, you may make photocopies. Be sure to sign the top of the form
before forwarding to your employer or supervisor.
13. AFFIRMATION OF GOOD STANDING:
Mark the appropriate box for ALL questions. If any answer is yes, attach an explanation and if appropriate final decree.
14. CONFIRMATION AND RELEASE STATEMENT: Read the statement and sign your name as you would a business document. Do not print. Write in the date.
15. ENCLOSE CHECK PAYABLE TO NCA. MAIL COMPLETED APPLICATION MATERIALS TO:
THE NATIONAL CREDENTIALING ACADEMY
13566 CAMINO DE PLATA CT.
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX. 78418